Reflections On A Crazy Faith
Crazy Reflections On Faith
Faith Reflections On Crazy

Saturday, February 1, 2014


“YOU DON’T SPEAK FOR ME”:

   In my last post I suggested “Christianity” had lost any definitive meaning as a label or description.  Part of the problem is the tendency for people with opinions (and I’m one of those), who communicate as though they are speaking for God or Christianity (I’m trying to avoid being one of those).  Many of these people are leaders of churches and Christian organisations who assume that their job description includes making sure the community at large know their personal and organisational position on every issue that comes down the highway.

Reality check!

-   sometimes the spokesperson doesn’t really believe what they’re saying.  They say it because it’s “expected” of someone in their position. And more often than not, not everyone in their organisation believes it. Issues get debated, votes cast, decisions made, and positions declared.  And sure, everyone who wants to stay part of the group accepts the outcome.  Doesn’t mean they agree with it. And yet when the pronouncement is made public it is usually accompanied by an air of certainty, as representative of God and the Christian community.  So let me just say that even though I too am a passionate follower of Jesus, “you don’t speak for me”.

 
*When a Christian leader declares that God made the world in 6 days, 6000 years ago – “you don’t speak for me”.

 *When some Christians got offended that Christopher Hitchens declared the last Pope should be arrested, on entry into Britain, for contributing to child abuse – “you don’t speak for me”.

 *When Christian groups declare that God will bring judgement on the nation for legislating to allow same-sex marriage – “you don’t speak for me”.

 *When you label all Muslims as part of a plot to use every means including violence to conquer the world –“you don’t speak for me”.

 *When you claim the ‘righteous’ nature of God supports tougher prison sentences, and the death penalty “you don’t speak for me”. 

   I think I’ve made the point.  I fully endorse the right to have an opinion and to make it public.  So long as you don’t give the impression you are speaking for “Christians”.  Nor for God.  Because neither you nor I speak for God. Even when we quote Bible verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment