Reflections On A Crazy Faith
Crazy Reflections On Faith
Faith Reflections On Crazy

Monday, August 17, 2015


God  IS an old person in the sky... and I’m glad

    A few years ago, when people actually cared what God might be like, it was common to mock some of the caricatures of God.  Caricatures for which Christianity was, sadly, probably responsible: - a powerless softy, the unsympathetic Judge, a cosmic Policeman, and an old man in the clouds. And yes, probably out of frustration, I mocked these perceptions.  I still don’t like the first three but I’ve come to love the “old person in the sky”... because I’m now a grandad.  Well, a “poppa” actually.  And if having kids of my own years ago gave me a better understanding of God as parent, being a grandparent is now transforming my connection with God.
     Earlier, six-month old Semisi lay on my chest and fell asleep.  I listened to his breathing - initially he was taking at least two for one of mine but slowly he relaxed and drifted off to sleep.  Presumably because he felt secure with Poppa.  And so he should.  Not because I’m any great shakes in the grandparent department, but because it’s a lot different than being a parent.   When I was a novice dad I worried about a whole heap of stuff, particularly about how my kids would turn out. 
     Frankly I now think the whole parenting thing is over-researched, over-scrutinised, and over-regulated.  What I’ve worked out is that if you wholeheartedly love your kids, give them some boundaries, and model even inadequate attempts at service and caring for others... most of them will turn out fine. So I’m way more relaxed as a grandfather.  Even when my two-year olds turn on a tantrum and give me the grumpy cold shoulder. I love them even more.  They’re doing exactly what 2yr-olds sometimes do.  So I do what Poppas are meant to do – chuckle, relax, and wait for the hugs that will eventually come.
     I think we get to pick what kind of God we believe in.  The Bible, just like most religious texts, presents a range of perspectives on God.  Some of my evangelical friends vote for the judgmental, slightly mean God.  Not me.  I love the old person in the sky ... who sees a bigger picture than I can, who knows the Cross took care of sin and that eventually things will work out.  Whose breathing is a lot more relaxed than mine.  And who wants me to rest.
   Sleep on Semisi.  I love you more than you know.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Gus. Was nice to read without my magnifying glass too.

    ReplyDelete